Welcome to Gloomy Tuesday!

Looking for something?

Subscribe to this blog!

Receive the latest posts by email. Just enter your email below if you want to subscribe!

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Book Review for the "Me and My Friend Maddie" series by Robert Tomoguchi

A couple years ago I discovered the first book in the wonderful series, "Goth Girls Don’t Taste like Chicken". Of course the first thing that grabbed me about this book was the title. So I found it online for Kindle and started reading. I fell in love right from the start. This book is clever, funny, and very easy to relate to. I absolutely love the un-named character Maddie's BFF. He is comical and a very entertaining character. Maddie is someone I admire smart, funny, and always knows how to handle a situation. These characters together make this first book absolutely wonderful.

The second book “So This Bitch” focuses on a new girl coming between Maddie and her BFF and the jealousy and drama that ensue. I like this book because I am able to relate to the character of Gloom Dollie. Being new to the Goth scene can be intimidating and scary; making friends can be difficult. Luckily, Gloom Dollie meets Maddie and her BFF. Although at first things are rocky between the three because of the jealousy the BFF feels towards Gloom Dollie they accept her and become friends. I love this one the most because of all of this knowing that although you have a BFF you can have many other BFFs and friends and still love that person just as much. It’s a beautiful lesson and a great story to learn that lesson from. I highly recommend to anyone who may be having the sort of problems Gloom Dollie faced or if you’re having the jealousy Maddie's BFF felt.

The third book, “A Goth Noob Picnic” in the Cemetery where DJ Dumbshit is buried takes a slightly more serious turn. In this book Maddie and her BFF meet a baby bat. They take him under their wing and soon learn that he is being bullied. Maddie's BFF takes action and stands up for him. However, later due to a mix up, he learns about notes where the baby bat had talked about suicide and hurting himself. This book really opens your eyes to this issue. It still has the same elements as the other books just a very important lesson is included.

I love all of these books and I highly recommend them to all Goths in the subculture you are sure to find great pleasure with all of them. The writer expresses himself very creatively and this is what keeps you reading. I found mine digitally on Amazon. However, you may also buy them in paperback.

I hope you enjoyed reading my review of these wonderful books.





No comments:

Post a Comment